Thursday, May 30, 2019

Guarding the Amish Midwife - Dana R. Lynn (LIS #755 - June 2019)

Series: Amish Country Justice (Book 6)

An Amish witness to murder

On the way to deliver a baby, Amish midwife Lizzy Miller witnesses her driver's murder -- and now someone plans to silence her. Lizzy knows better than to trust strangers, but she must depend on former Amish turned Englisch police officer Isaac Yoder. And there's nowhere safe to hide…unless Isaac reconnects with the Amish community he left behind to protect the woman he's falling for.

This was another fantastic entry in the Amish Country Justice series. I love how Dana can write stories that are so closely linked without them being cookie cutter copies of each other. Each one has a fresh mystery and a different romantic dilemma.

This book leaps right into the action as Lizzy Miller witnesses the murder of her Englisch driver on her way from her home in LaMar Pond, Pennsylvania, to deliver a cousin's baby in Ohio. My heart was in my throat as she stared into the killer's eyes before fleeing for her life. She was lucky to encounter Officer Isaac Yoder, former Amish man turned Englisch cop before the killer caught up to her.

I loved both Isaac and Lizzy. Though both were raised Amish, each has events in their pasts that sent them in different directions. Lizzy was a victim in a terrifying attack a few years earlier that left her with many fears and a deep distrust of men. Her faith and her family gave her the strength to go on with her life. Isaac lost his younger brother in a violent attack. Dissatisfied with his father's choices in handling the murder, Isaac left family and faith behind, vowing to work for justice in his brother's memory.

The development of the relationship between Isaac and Lizzy was sweet and heartbreaking. They were drawn to each other from the very beginning. Lizzy was surprised to discover that she trusted Isaac almost from the moment she met him. I loved seeing that trust deepen the longer they spent together, and how that trust also spread to others she encountered thanks to his influence. It wasn't long before her heart began to get involved, and Lizzie found herself dreaming of a life with him. I ached for her because she knew it would only be possible if she left her Amish community, something she couldn't begin to consider, or Isaac returned to his. I loved Isaac's determination to do whatever necessary to keep Lizzie safe. He tried very hard to convince himself that it was part of his job, but he couldn't lie to himself for long. But Isaac knew that he could never ask her to leave her faith and family behind, just as he was sure that he could never go back himself. There were many beautiful scenes of the two of them together, sharing their pasts, watching out for each other. I loved seeing Isaac bite the bullet and take Lizzie to the only place where he was sure she would be safe, and Lizzie's support of him as he faced the life he left behind. I hurt for them both when the case was over and they went their separate ways. I loved the ending and laughed out loud at the conversation that Isaac had with his friend Ryder.

The suspense of the story was outstanding. I was glued to the pages from the start as Isaac and the others worked to find the killer before he got to Lizzy. It seemed that no matter what they did, the killer was right on their heels. The twists and turns kept me on the edge of my seat, unable to put the book down until I finished it. The final confrontation with intense, with a player that I didn't see coming. I loved how Lizzy and Rebecca kept their heads and contributed to their own rescue.

I am going to miss the people of LaMar pond and the families I've gotten to "know" over the last two years. But I look forward to spending more time in Waylan Grove. I'd love to see Ryder get his own story.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment