Sunday, September 22, 2019

His First Choice - Tara Taylor Quinn (HS #2034 - May 2016)

Series: Where Secrets are Safe (Book 8)

The best decision they'll ever make

Lacey Hamilton is used to living in the background. Overshadowed her entire life, she stepped out of the Hollywood limelight and into the role she's meant to play: a counselor, part of the High Risk Team started by The Lemonade Stand women's shelter in Santa Raquel.

Her caseload leads her to the doorstep of Jeremiah "Jem" Bridges to rescue a little boy. She's not supposed to fall in love with the rugged construction worker and his adorable son. Love and duty, though, don't always agree. Especially when a truth is uncovered that neither she nor Jem is prepared to face.

Excellent story with an unusual storyline. The book opens with Lacey, a social worker, getting a call from a concerned daycare worker. A little boy she has cared for since he was a few months old shows worrisome signs - unusual injuries and a change in personality among them. She's afraid that he's being abused. Lacey takes down the information and pays a visit to father and son that very night. I will say that I was somewhat disappointed in Lacey at the very beginning. It seemed to me that she immediately jumped to the conclusion that it was Levi's father doing the abusing before she even met the man. Fortunately, it didn't take her long to realize that if there was any abuse, it wasn't Jem doing it. There are, however, enough signs that she can't completely walk away.

I really liked both Lacey and Jem. Lacey is a strong and compassionate woman who also has some self-image problems. She and her identical twin sister, Kacey, were models when they were younger, and Kacey went on to work as an actress, too. Lacey was the quiet one who frequently got overlooked around her more outgoing sister. It wasn't until Lacey moved away and became involved with a women's shelter, The Lemonade Stand, that she found her niche in life. However, she does tend to compare herself to her sister, always believing that she doesn't measure up. I loved how she connected with little Levi and how he found his way into her heart. Jem is a great guy and a wonderful father. I loved seeing him with Levi and what an excellent relationship they have. Jem has full custody, with his ex-wife, Tressa, getting weekend visitations. I often got frustrated by the way Jem consistently made excuses for Tressa's actions and attitude. The more I got to know him the more I liked him, but I also wanted to find a way to open his eyes.

I loved the development of the relationship between Lacey and Jem. There were sparks between them right from the start, but Lacey tried to resist them. Because of her work connection to Levi and Jem, having a personal relationship was not possible. But as fate kept throwing them together, the attraction between them could not be denied. I loved that Lacey accepted the connection and made the move that would remove that obstacle from their relationship. I loved watching them grow closer, slowly getting to know each other. Jem won my heart with the way that he focused on Lacey even when Kacey was around. I loved how he showed her that she was wonderful the way she was and didn't need to keep comparing herself to Kacey. I especially liked his explanation of how he knew the difference between the two women. Lacey's feelings for Jem grew quickly, but her insecurity worked against her for a long time. I loved seeing her finally start to believe in their relationship. However, she also had a big reservation, and that was the relationship between Jem and Tressa. There were things about it that raised red flags for her, but Jem blew off her concerns. It wasn't until a combination of something that Levi said and a confrontation with Tressa that Lacey's suspicions proved correct. I ached for both her and Jem as she confronted him with her observations and conclusion and made her stand. I loved Jem's big moment at the end and everything he went through to get there.

Another thing I loved about this book was the relationship between Lacey and Kacey. Their love for each other was unquestionable. I also loved how they were there for each other, even during those times when their relationship was strained. It was interesting to see the similarities and the differences and how those affected their relationship. I loved that Lacey saw what she needed to do for her own happiness and did it. I also liked that with time and distance she was able to change the dynamics between herself and her sister. I also liked how her love and concern for Kacey helped her sister get a better handle on her own life and issues. It was a great start to Kacey finding who she is inside. I've already read Kacey's story (Her SecretLife) and found it just as moving as Lacey's.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment